View Single Post
Old 05-23-2019, 02:24 PM   #3
rgunlock

Re: Starter question

Thanks rpmerf! I do know that my starter has the offset/angled mounting holes, but I didn't even think to look up and compare flywheels on the two vehicles. I've read that I should get the gear reduction type starter. If I am reading your post correctly, I think you are saying you believe the 98 Tahoe starter should work ok.

I have only been driving my truck for about a year since completely rebuilding it. The starter is one of the very few things that isn't new or rebuilt as it appeared to be new when I got the truck. It was clean and I could still read the labels unlike everything else that was under 1/2 inch of crud. So cables are new, battery is new, wiring harnesses are new and connections are clean. The truck starts fine when cooled, but if I've driven several miles and shut it off, the starter just clicks without cranking the engine until it cools off a bit. Pretty sure the timing is good as it will fire right off as soon as I get get the starter to crank the engine even a little.

78 GMC K15 SWB, 350/NV4500/NP205/4.10s Project Hazel
71 GMC C25 350/TH400 - Project Angie
59 Chevy SWB Stepside (next in line? Not sure now )
2001 GMC Sierra K2500
rgunlock is offline   Reply With Quote