View Single Post
Old 05-27-2019, 09:58 PM   #13
rgunlock

Re: Starter question

Quote:
Originally Posted by franken View Post
At this point, the issue sounds like the solenoid isn't doing it's job, of engaging the flywheel w/ the Bendix and switching on the starter.
Heat soak is generally defined as slow crank when warm.
Heat soak may be the wrong term. It is definately heat related because it starts just fine when cooled off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KQQL IT View Post
678-107 Dorman x2
So I'd need new bolts for it also? How are these different than what is holding in my current starter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontiac1976 View Post
All blocks Heat soak starter, Header is high on the list if there to close the starter, timing off a little, carb to set to rich.
As said mostly big block have this happen more.
But older dirty starter inside & out side hold heat more. weak solenoid inside contacts(plunger like point) make more heat, bad connections( you can clean turn them to get a little life out of them) make more heat, bad wires when working make more heat. Older starter nose not lube smooth and free make more heat wear out he nose shaft & bushing. Old starter brushes,Very dirty make more heat. Old brushes @1/2 wear but clean will work better then old pretty new but very dirty/sand brush dust.
Starter very easy to take apart clean check shape of the parts.
The cleaner the starter in side even a old starter will last. The Magnets, Wending if over heated for long time (years) wear them out & make keep make more heat try to pull more power to work. This a land slid for the other part all come in contact with the starter, Alt, Batt, Wiring, Starter-all the part in them.
The starter was one of the only parts on this truck that wasn't covered in a 1/2 inch layer of grease and dirt when I got the truck. I was assuming it was recently replaced by the PO. Then it sat for several years while I built the truck. Still clean on the outside and presumably on the inside as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franken View Post
Half a few other things too.
Aside from the bolts, what else is required to swap to one of these mini-starters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldawg142 View Post
right there...wait till your upside down under the truck holding it, the mini's rule here
also got one on my bb crew and on my sb stepper, no issues at all
Yea, that's why I'm considering the smaller, lighter starter. These trucks are a piece of cake to reach the starter, but holding that 20 lbs up while trying to attach all the wires is a pain. It's a little tight to do cables once the starter is bolted up.

I didn't realize this were going to be "cons" to this aside from the additional cost. I appreciate all of the feedback. Had a busy weekend with family in and only got a chance to re-route some of my ground cables. My truck came with ground from battery to frame and the engine only indirectly grounded through the grounding strap to the cab and from there back to the frame. I'd put it back the same way. Now I've got ground directly from the battery to the block and from the block to the frame. Didn't get a chance to take it on a long enough drive to heat it up and see if it makes any difference. Figure it can't hurt and the truck will start back up if I let it sit at least 10 minutes or so. Thanks!

78 GMC K15 SWB, 350/NV4500/NP205/4.10s Project Hazel
71 GMC C25 350/TH400 - Project Angie
59 Chevy SWB Stepside (next in line? Not sure now )
2001 GMC Sierra K2500
rgunlock is offline   Reply With Quote