View Single Post
Old 06-06-2019, 12:07 PM   #191
Gregski
Post Whore

Re: INNOVATE DLG1 Wideband O2 Oxygen Sensor Tuning Diagnostics Logging Air Fuel Ratio

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckin 79 View Post
...I put in a previous thread that I have had trouble passing emissions in CO.
I am sorry to hear about your SMOG woes, living in California (pronounced Emission Constraint Capitol of the Globe) I feel your pain, though here vehicles like my truck 1975 and older are exempt thank god

couple tips if I may:

0. read the SMOG report, it tells you where you failed and how bad, I had a car that would pass emissions but fail some other thing like visual inspection or something cause a hose was missing, or some nonsense like that, how bad does it say you missed the cut off by?

1. check your timing with a timing light

2. do not SMOG a cold vehicle, take it for a nice 30 mile drive on the freeway on a day where the SMOG shop won't be busy, and then pull up right to their car port ready for a test

3. check your timing, is your coil good or bearly limping along

4. do not fall for any of that Sea Foam crap, if you feel like wasting your money on snake oils, please send the cash to me instead, ha ha

5. read your spark plugs, put in new ones, gap them properly, are you using an HEI distributor if so are the plugs gapped big like .045 or even .050

6. hey, have you checked your timing, ha ha

7. I change my oil and oil filter and air filter before smoking a gross poluter as well, every bit helps, plus it's just good overall maintenance

8. how old is your muffler, maybe a new $100 turbo one will help

Quote:
I just wanted to know if people who had these gauges averaged the 14.7 or what readings were like.
That is a great question, and as a newb we all chase that perfect stoic number, but as we get more experienced we realize tuning a bit richer is more realistic, so shoot for like 13.5. However remember there are three conditions and 14.7 is not acceptable for all of them.

1. idling at a red light (ok shoot for 14.7) but more likely be happy with 13.5, always safer for the engine to run richer than leaner, too lean can damage your engine

2. cruising on the freeway, acceptable range is 15.5(ish) as it does not take much horse power to keep the vehicle moving, something like 40 horse will do it

3. power, use the poor man's dyno for this, aka a nice hill on the freeway, with no heavy traffic around floor it up that hill and have a buddy watch that AFR gauge, for a chevy small block 11.5 AFR is a nice horse power pull

of course all these numbers are just a guide, your engine/truck may want to ebb and flow a bit differently

Quote:
Oh yeah thanks alot Gregski for all the great info on this and other thread. I think you should print out all these pages out and sell online as a how to book.
thank you so much, I appreciate that, I need to graduate to making videos, but I have the face for radio, ha ha

Last edited by Gregski; 06-06-2019 at 12:15 PM.
Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote