View Single Post
Old 06-04-2006, 10:08 PM   #6
Rokcrln

Re: How to: Inner Rocker Panel Replacement by LFD Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringoloco
The rattle can stuff? You topcoat over this?
Yes that is it. It is one of the better spray can paints out their and their fan tip works great as well. I went out and checked and on the inner panel on this one I used some Cold Galv paint the owner brought. It is an industrial paint the really bights into the metal well. I have used it for years on th ejob site over out welds on galvinised metal studs. I had just never used it on cars before. I feel it is good for behind panels but not if you are going to top coat over it as it is a thick build paint. Also keep in mind that the factory did not use much to prevent rust on our trucks in the rockers and other hard to get at places. So even if all you have around the house is some junk paint from Wally mart it is still better then nothing and will out last the factory parts. The main thing is to keep areas sealed up and do not let alot of dirt and trash build up in your truck because that will get into the cracks (like between the kick panel bottom and the floor board) and then the dirt works like sand paper exposing the metal to rust. The best thing to do is after doing metal patches clean everything real well, paint with what you can afford and then use seam sealer anywhere that dirt can build up and start the rust all over again. We are going to be trying some different Body cavity waxes and aplicators to try and get into the seal up areas to help protect against rust.

Kevin
LFD Inc.