Thread: 1971 GMC Donald
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2023, 10:33 AM   #35
mxerhale

Re: 1971 GMC Donald

Now that I had the engine running and enough of the wiring to get it to move under it's own power I needed something connecting the trans to the rear end and someway to change gears.

After pricing some local places I found a place in Idaho called Full Torque Driveshafts that were willing to build what I needed, a 3.5" diameter exceptionally long shaft that would hold up to my dreams of 800hp! They got it done in 5 days and shipped in a giant box right to my door step this aluminum beauty. It has 1350 joints on both ends so I changed the pinion yoke to a heavy duty 1350 unit to match. I was a bit nervous getting some basic measurements and sending a bunch of money to these guys that were relatively new to the business, but it fits absolutely perfectly.

Next up finding a shifter for a 4L80E was a bit of a challenge, mostly because I didn't want to have to buy different plates and brackets on top of the big $$$ that the shifter itself was going to cost. I ended up with a TCI Diablo and a DIY riser to get it up high enough to where I can easily reach it with my seatbelt on. It comes with about a hundred extra brackets, plates, and doodads to fit seemingly just about any sort of transmission made. Brilliant!
Attached Images

mxerhale is offline   Reply With Quote