View Single Post
Old 01-21-2018, 10:15 PM   #1
Big John Sny

700R4 back to a 3 speed

I know it is the wrong direction, but i am wanting to pull the poorly installed 700R4 from my truck and return it back to its three speed roots.

Someone at one time swapped the entire drivetrain from an 85 c10 into my truck. lots of bent, cut, welded crossmembers, the auto linkage utilizes part of the clutch pivot, ect.

My son could really use the 700r4 for his car at the moment, the flex plate on my truck has some damaged teeth and needs to probably be pulled anyways, and I found a rebuilt 67-72 era 3 speed and bell housing cheap, and the truck still has the 3 speed pedal assembly.

The problems I see are:
- I don't have the original column - is a 3 speed column going to be hard to find?
- I don't have the three speed driveshaft
- I do have some of the linkage for the clutch, but not all of it, and the clutch fork and clutch were missing in my 3 speed I found.
- I have 4:11 gears in the truck. I am assuming my freeway speed will be pretty limited without a R and P swap. I think the truck originally had a 3 speed with overdrive as I found a cable going back there from the cab that didn't seem to have a purpose. (this really was not a very clean swap)

If I can not source the column, and have to cut a hole in the floor anyways, I may take a look for a S10 T5 as it also cleans up some of the other issues, but I am thinking I would rather go column shift.

Just wanted to hear any advice, experience, ect.
Big John Sny is offline   Reply With Quote