View Single Post
Old 10-20-2020, 09:06 AM   #126
theastronaut

Re: 1966 F100 Short Bed Styleside Metal/Body/Paint Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Ashley View Post
I think you are magic. How do you have time to do stuff like this and work on your Fiesta too?
My own projects get pushed back a lot, the red Festiva is still sitting and theres a list a mile long that needs to be done with the white one. Haven't done much with my '66 C10 in about a year either except for moving it around the shop and assembling the sheetmetal. My '64 VW is in storage, the '63 is slowly being converted to stock suspension, and my granddad's '64 C10 is also just sitting in storage. Hopefully by the time this F100 is finished I'll have the shop set up to transition into doing more panel fabrication and less big projects, and I'll have more time for my own projects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
Thanks John...so to raise the panel , did you hold the dolley on the bottom side pushing up, and hammer on the top?..I've had some similar stuff I've worked my butt off trying to fix, so I had to ask...
I lightly hold the dolly on top and use the hammer to push the metal up, pretty much just letting the weight of the dolly hold it down- no added pressure. The dolly is mainly there to squeeze the metal between the hammer and dolly for stretching the metal, and the hammer is also pushing the metal upward as it stretches. The dolly will somewhat keep the metal from moving up as much as it could so some hammer blows without the dolly will rearrange the metal into the correct shape if there's enough stretching. It would still stretch the metal if the hammer/dolly were on opposite sides but I feel like hammering in the direction you want it to go is more effective.
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote