View Single Post
Old 10-21-2020, 04:00 PM   #128
theastronaut

Re: 1966 F100 Short Bed Styleside Metal/Body/Paint Work

The owner wanted the radio, glove box, and ashtray shaved. I ground through the outer layer of the dash to release the spot welds over the left half of the inner dash brace that was straight. The right side of the inner brace was shaped to fit the glove box opening so it was cut out.

The right corner of the dash was bent too far outward past straight/in line with the center of the dash- the aluminum bar is laid flat against the center section of the dash to show the misalignment. I cut far enough over to get rid of the part that was rounded out too far so the new section would be in the correct alignment.

The top edge of the glove box opening was formed really close to the bend across the face of the dash, so that won't leave much room for welding and grinding.

Profile gauge and tape with matching marks to transfer onto the filler panel blank.

After turning the lower flange with a brake, I used the profile gauge to mark the filler panel for the area that needed the most roll and the areas that were mostly flat.

I picked the english wheel die that most closely matched the profile of the dash. I didn't take pics while I was making the panel, but I stretched an inner tube over the upper wheel so that the english wheel only bent the metal in one direction instead of two since this isn't a compound curve.

Matched the shape of the old panel.

Initial test fit. I'll wait to weld it in after the owner comes over so we can finalize the placement of the A/C vents, it'll be easier to weld in the A/C vent mounting cups with the filler panel loose instead of welded in place.

I turned a couple of mdf blocks in the lathe to make mounting cups for the A/C vents. This will keep the vent mounting flange straight and flat while shaping the edges.

First quick trial piece, not really happy with this shape but it's something to start with.

C-channel dash brace fabricated and test fit. Not perfectly shaped to match the original but it's just a dash brace that'll never be seen.

Right side turned 90* with mitered and welded corners, and drilled for a plug weld.

Last detail to sort out before the A/C mounting cups can be welded in- there was a recessed round stamping with a raised lower edge in the corner of the dash that will interfere with the edges of the A/C vents. I used a mallet, hammer, and dolly to flatten it and reshape the corner to the correct profile. To finish it I went over it with a 2" 100 grit disc on a 1" grinder; that lets the pad flex to the rounded shape without digging in on the edges. Then finished with a DA sander. You can see by the "light line" reflections that the corner is evenly shaped.

Initial hammer/dolly work to really flatten and level the stamping.

After reworking the shape using a small PVC fitting as a donut dolly and mallet.

Smoothed up with 100 grit, then 60 grit on a DA.

theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote