View Single Post
Old 10-31-2020, 10:42 PM   #132
theastronaut

Re: 1966 F100 Short Bed Styleside Metal/Body/Paint Work

Thanks guys! I think all the bed floor detail sanding has made me push for getting the metalwork on the dash straighter for less filler /shaping sanding later on

The dash was originally padded and had a separate trim piece at each end. The owner wants a painted dash with no pad or original trim pieces which leaves ugly dash corners when both are removed, so my next task was to smooth out the transition from the dash to the A-pillar and windshield pinchweld.

Old edge of the dash cut out.

The seams in the door jamb were pretty ugly as well so they were welded up and reshaped. I don't like fully shaving seams, I prefer the look of well defined panel edges and evenly shaped seams. Noticed the mismatch between the kick panel's edge and the separate door jamb panel- this was corrected.

I ended up doing two rounds of welding/shaping to get a consistent seam, then did a bit more final touch up work after the dash corner was welded in.

To make a template for the new dash edge I used tape and a sharpie to get a rough idea of the new edge's trim/fold line.

The front edge was folded over 180* and the rear edge was bend down 90* for a flange to weld to the A-pillar. The front section that wasn't bent was later trimmed off.

Using linear stretch dies in the planishing hammer to lengthen and raise the inside edge to match the contour of the dash hump.

After a lot more shaping and fine tuning of the outside edge. I had reworked the edge a lot and it was beginning to fatigue, so I cheated and welded the edge of the flange to strengthen it, which also gave me enough material to grind a consistent radius on the edge.

The last issue to straighten out before welding in the new corner- There was a spot weld in the A-pillar that created a low spot and an uneven gap for the new dash edge. I drilled a small hole in the outside of the pillar and used a punch to bump the inner panel level.

theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote