View Single Post
Old 06-12-2023, 11:40 PM   #271
e015475

Re: 49 GMC Five Window

Little update - the weather here is sublime and spending as much time in the shop as I can.

Hood alignment- as many suggested, I started by leveling the cab. I don't know where my head was when I installed the cab on the chassis for the last time, but I sure didn't level it up. All the metal was good and the shackles were rebuilt so I decided I'd just shim it per the factory manual. Made these shims out of scrap and it took 1/8" on one side and 1/4" on the other side to get the cab parallel to the frame

I found a nice set of hinges on ebay, and just waiting for an able neighbor or friend to wander by to take the hood of so I can install them

Cab insulation - finished the Killmat and closed cell foam on the main floorboard of the cab. Looks like I'm only half way there with the 34 SF box I got from Killmat. I've driven it and it makes quite a difference.

Found a shift boot from a late 60s GM FWD transfer case works pretty good as a shift boot. Bezel of a Dodge with a 4 speed almost fits - a little more tweaking required yet,

Altman Latches - been dreading this project, but it looks like I got the driver's door working ok. This truck already had some bear claw latches with a Rube-Goldberg linkage of my own design that didn't work real well. The Altman door plate doesn't look great under the best of circumstances and was even worse than mine, so I decided to use the pop-out that was already there. The old bear claw was about 1.5" than the Altman. I had a stiff drink before I ground off that paint.

I cut up the Altman cover plate to make the patch panel for my door. Have not picked up a TIG torch for a few years and should go get some scraps to practice on before I tackle the door.

Handle is nice and straight. I'm going to disassemble the Altman latch and polish all the mating surfaces I can then grease it with Lubriplate. Hoping I don't need an additional spring to keep the handle straight

I guess I'm getting cranky in my old age. Every time I ask my wife to help me get the truck onto the lift, seems to result in some hurt feelings
. Added a little ATV winch to the lift and it works wonderfully.
e015475 is offline   Reply With Quote