View Single Post
Old 04-03-2019, 11:08 AM   #58
Scott2

Re: Moms wedding present 49 chevy 5 window LS 4L60e TCI frame

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocww View Post
The back end. Before I had my cab on my bed lined up with the holes perfectly. Now that I have the cab on, I cant put the bed on, as the 2 touch, and I still have about an 1.5 in gap between where the bed holes are, and where the holes on the frame are.
Originally Posted by jocww
Scott, it was short, a few months ago I gave them the measurements and they compared it to their cad. TCI came and picked the frame up from my house as Good Guys was this weekend, then they drove it to the shop where he is going to lengthen it. Evan said it was about an 1.5 in too short, but that told Tom add more just in case so maybe he will do it 3 in. Per Tom, the beds should not even be close to touching about 1in apart. I would contact Jay. So far they are making me happy.

Just a thought here - your experience and mine seems to be that the frame is ~1-1/2” short and that the shortage is somewhere under the cab area. This pulls the bed forward into the cab space (and in my case it was a tight fit to get the cab on the mounts as it was squeezed in there). I’m interested in knowing where the shortage is exactly.

I have mine set back just enough to get ~1/2” space to the cab because I drilled new holes for the front bed mounts ~3/4” back . I set my running boards on yesterday and they are a pretty snug fit between the front and rear fenders but there’s enough flex in the fenders that they fit. If I had another 3/4” they’d be great but the bed rear mounts would be nearly off the rear frame. I also need to crawl under it and see if the running board mounts on the chassis and boards line up?

If TCI is going to add in anything more than the missing 1-1/2” you mentioned they suggested 3”) then you’re going to be messed up in the other direction. The running boards will end up hanging in space and won’t reach both fenders and you may have a really big space between the cab and bed.

I’d make sure they have a good plan to get this correct including mocking it all up to get it to fit right. Adding in an arbitrary amount just to be sure could leave you with another mess. Best approach would really be to build a new chassis which meets the specs and swap it out for you.