View Single Post
Old 12-10-2018, 05:32 AM   #5
71GreenJunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolle_hond View Post
Sorry, I did not mean to come across as aggressively in my post as it probably seemed. I'm just thinking about things like wiring, manual gauges, etc. which will all be a pain to do. If you can find a correct bellhousing it will make things a lot simpler on that side, unless you want to swap the transmission as well, which is too much effort in my opinion. You also need to consider things like the radiator, exhaust pipes and if you have/are planning to add power steering or A/C etc.
I have two old holden UTE shells, and over here the cheapest engine for swap/transplant is the V8 Lexus, so I have done quite a bit of research before deciding it is just not worth it to do an install, because of all the unforeseen costs.
But if you can do the fabrication of the mounts, the exhausts and find a bellhousing / adapter plate, you should be about half way there, and I would love to see the result.
No worries. I didn't take it as hostile and likewise I hope that you did not take my a hostile either. Wilcap I know makes an adapter for the Hemi to a sbc bellhousing. The Hemi bellhousing I believe is very close to the older LA small block but just different enough to not interchange. I really would prefer to keep a small block and just build a 377 or 400 from a Dart block but I just don't believe I could make enough power to make me happy and still be able to tow a light trailer or a couple engines/transmissions. That's my dilemma. Performance vs being able to corner somewhat well vs using it as a truck. I believe a 6.4 would probably be the best compromise. Lighter than a 454, more potential than a sbc while maintaining tractability at lower engine speeds. I've fabricated exhaust and mounts myself out of necessity before, as the local shop did a terrible job before. Not perfect certainly, but strong and effective. Motor mount shouldn't be too difficult, I've not specifically done motor mounts before but I imagine mostly a lot of measuring, mockup and test fitting. I have a local hydraulic repair shop that can do the power steering lines. Think I will retain the Saginaw pump and just make a custom bracket from steel plate. I think I could reuse the sbc radiator and have a stainless or aluminum tube bent up and ends bead rolled with some short sections of rubber hose for the inlet, outlet should be fine as flexible universal hose. Would also help since that new hoses don't come with the coil to prevent the hose from closing from the suction. There are thread adapters I could use for my coolant temp and oil pressure sending unit. Probably stick to the TH350 and install a manual valve body and some Sonnex parts to keep it happy. I would like the overdrive but I do know the 145ish hp 305 pulled to about 125 before laying over so I don't want to know what 475hp and overdrive could do but my better judgment is no match for my right foot. Wiring would be a pain but I do leave that work to my father. He enjoys it, I hate it. If I use an ECU and harness like a Haltech that should simply things over fiddling with trying to adapt a Chrysler ECU. They are high but seem to be worth the expense. There are some carb intakes for the Hemi but all are single plane or are poorly cast dual planes with tiny ports. I have also considered an F-body TPI on the 377 or 400 but they're now considered so obsolete it's hard to find the aftermarket lower, upper intakes and runners. Also not sure that would be worth the time and expense tracking down the TPI parts to do the conversion for likely just marginal improvement over a modern sbc dual plane.
Posted via Mobile Device
71GreenJunk is offline   Reply With Quote