View Single Post
Old 06-13-2014, 08:15 AM   #122
NastyBuzzard

Re: 1987 GMC V1500 Sierra Classic LS swap/build

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Looks overwhelming to say the least. I have taken on some of these type of projects back in the day. I used to be full of energy too If you're up for the challenge go for it.
I'm not too old just yet!! I've got the energy and the motivation. The motivation I get is mostly from reading everyone elses threads, they get me pumped up!

I really enjoy doing all this, it never seems like work to me. I mean I guess I could be inside watching tv but I like to get stuff done!

I am thinking that if I cant find a sending unit to fit into the 87 tanks that will give me the 90-240 ohm reading that I may just put in a 90 ohm resistor between the pump assy and the gauge, that way it will atleast be somewhat correct when I am on an empty tank. I've been consulting the electrical engineer in my dept at work.

My friend is still convinced that I can use a combination of the 87 sending unit and one from a 96 or so Vortec truck. Still have to investigate that.

Once I get it figured out what sending unit I need I will be ordering a butt load of parts!!! Sending units, pumps, AN fittings (which I have no clue which ones I need), dirty dingos, high pressure line and anything else I can think of.

I still need to finish cleaning engine, installing shift kit in trans and all. I want to make sure I have as much as I need and as much as I can get done before yanking the heart out of the 87!

Also trying to decide whether to order a 20 gal tank and just use it and eliminate the two 16 gal tanks. I think the 20 gal tank would be sufficient especially if I am able to pump out 20mpg out of this swap!! Also got to figure out a way to use the pressure switch and get tank sealed and run a non vented cap.
NastyBuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote