View Single Post
Old 12-29-2009, 07:20 PM   #5
Rollie396
someday it will be done!

Re: aluminum polish did I miss a step?

Thanks again Scott,I did some playin around (before reading this) and got fairly decent results.I used the white and then the rouge followed by cream polish.I think if I had gone with the brown first it would have been better though.
I started fresh on another side and tried a few things different. I learnt two main things this time.
Use a sanding block!!I didn't the first time and I think that's why I was fighting with scratches.
Wet sand more.I gave it a once over with dry 220 to knock down scratches and get through the oxidization.After that I dry sanded 400 then wet 400.Wet sanded everything after that up to 2000.Waaaaay better this time!The scratches were minimal and had to look close to see any.
I also would want to get either a bench grinder or proper hand held polisher if I was to do a big area again.I think I'll continue on with it and finish up the whole thing to see if I can get it any better.There are a couple of tricks in the link mentioned above that I'd like to try.
Anyhow,here's what I ended up with this time.I ran out of cream polish after the second application so maybe it could have been better.Any other pointers would be great!
'66 long step (parked till it's turn comes around)
'65 short step (parts truck that will donate it's bed and possibly frame to the '66)
'06 Grand Prix wife's car (she hardly lets me touch it)
my pics

Last edited by Rollie396; 12-29-2009 at 07:24 PM.
Rollie396 is offline   Reply With Quote