View Single Post
Old 03-19-2015, 01:48 PM   #44
NewType72

Re: Great Grandpa's Legacy reborn

So we've had the startup now, I suppose it's time to get her driving and causing havoc! Just kidding no havoc as the truck won't even brake stand or do a slow rolling burnout believing the rear brakes may be a little tight causing the back not to break loose so we'll have them evaluated at our local tire shop (City Tire) in Modesto. Great business and amazing people we always love their customer support. Speaking of we just had new wheels and tires put on, not fancy but they get the job done.

Now into debugging week 1 of Great Grandpas Legacy. First and foremost we had quite a few problems getting the correct bracketry setup for the throttle cable and trans kick down . Took a few tries but I managed to cut and spread the throttle bracket to allow full throttle when pressing the pedal as it was awfully doggy and had at least an inch more to go when we first put it together. Second task was getting the kick down to act properly as getting on the freeway was a mighty task without the drop down at least without doing it yourself and risking a drive to 1st gear shift.. was quite problematic going from bone stock intake and Quadrajet setup to an Edelbrock performer with Quadrajet and a 1" intake to carb spacer as well in the mix making the height of the bracket to cable mount on carb quite steep, luckily I had a few different style and managed to make a stock one work well enough for the time being.

The third and largest task, but most fulfilling, was making all the darn lights work! Man chasing grounds like crazy and not knowing these trucks underneath was a heck of a challenge to me. Lots of up and downs and checking areas in the late nights after work in the driveway. That big 5 truck garage-mahal we all dream of needs to come quite sooner than expected if you ask me. Found a couple bad sockets in the tail lights that were causing a flurry of turn signal and driving lights issues but was able to clean all contacts as best as I could and get them functioning properly. Installed new door pins and brought back the dome light and under dash courtesy light which is a MAJOR must have when trying to get in your truck at night or early morning and it's pitch black. Was even able to get the cargo light jinning as well so that made her all legal as every other light functioned just as well as it did off the assembly line in 73.

We would also like to take this time to put in a poll and see what everyone else thinks what would look best, the black NASCAR style wheels as they are, or the cheyenne full wheels covers fully polished or painted as they were from factory? Truck originally came with full wheel covers of course and we even managed to find two of them that came with it from the dealership. LET US KNOW!

- Dylan
(209)-985-7721

Last edited by vectorit; 09-20-2016 at 11:22 PM.
NewType72 is offline   Reply With Quote