View Single Post
Old 08-28-2010, 09:35 PM   #13
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: War Surplus Axles

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycow View Post
Have you actually pulled the drums off the burb and found 10" brakes in there? If yes, it did not have a stock GM truck rear.

Ray
Actually, I didn't measure the diameter of the old drum brakes on the '67. I know they are the same non-finned type as used all-around on my '68 C/10 Stepside. The '67 K/10 uses this type in the rear and a '67-'68 only [maybe '60 to '68 or early '69] hard-to- get drum on the Corp [pre- Dana 44] front axle. The '71 Jimmy, and a junk '72 Blazer I have, use the larger diameter finned-type drums.
I can measure one of my cast-off plain drums and get a definate diameter.
The axle on the '67 Sub I had rebuilt in the mid '90s with Moser axles [GM was on strike that month and I couldn't get stock OEM axles] and an Auburn posi.

OK. So I went out back and checked on the two different types of brake drum. There's an Old-style drum that has an inside diameter of 11" and a depth of 2-1/2" -- 6 lugs at 5.5" spacing. The Later-style with an 11" I.D. and 2-1/2" depth, but it also has extra rib-like cooling fins that extend out, making for a 3-5/8" total depth. With the extra cooling ribs, the outside diameter of the later style drum is 13-1/2". So 10 inches was a wrong estimate. I guess the brake shoes and servo cylinders will work the same on either.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 08-29-2010 at 11:17 PM.
'68OrangeSunshine is online now   Reply With Quote