View Single Post
Old 12-27-2017, 07:11 PM   #23
sixty4bigwindow

Re: I guess it's my turn. Build thread for "Rocket"

Shortly after the cruise, I bought new tires for the truck, sold my daily driver, and made Rocket my daily. At this time, we were living about a half mile away from my work. And with a move to California happening within the next year (we weren't sure then exactly how soon,) we decided to downsize and get things more organized.

It's crazy how things can go sideways when your rig goes from weekend hobby/I'll get to it when I get to it, to "HOLY crap this thing is 50 years old and has bugs," very quickly. I found that out..

About 2 weeks after the new tires, after turning left in a major intersection in my town, I hear a snap, lose steering, and am dragging something on my passenger side... S***. I get out, and after surveying, I think its a control arm or tie rod end. The top pic shows what the truck was like in the middle of the street. the tire is turned inward, and the other side, the tire is straight and the steering wheel is straight. After the flatbed gets there, and we get it jacked up, the culprit was a bad ball joint (even after replacing them all when I did the brake swap a few months prior.) This was the one that had been giving me issues, but eventually got torqued and pinned. You can see the lower control arm chewed to crap, but my mechanic said it is structurally sound, and to just not take it offroading any time soon. New ball joint pressed in, and Rocket was back on the road in a few days.
Attached Images

sixty4bigwindow is offline   Reply With Quote