View Single Post
Old 02-03-2022, 12:08 PM   #2239
Gregski
Post Whore

Re: A '54 named Busty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
-Like you, I use bare electrical connectors which I crimp and then solder and finally cover with heat shrink. You pictured yourself throwing away handfuls of those colored crimp connectors that were included in something you bought. I do not throw them away. Simply grab them with one pair of pliers and use a second pair of needle nose pliers and pull the colored plastic thing off. This leaves you with a bare connector appropriate to how we use them. Money saved. Less waste. Crimp, solder, heat shrink and carry on with life.
so sorry to hear about you being laid up, hope you are on your way to recovery, my dad was a firefighter, thanks for the detailed feedback, I am going to reply to you point by point, as it is a good conversation, I too have done what you described above, the problem with doing this is that the cheap plastic covered connectors usually have a barrel joint, which you put the bare wire into and then crimp and if you are thorough like us then solder, the ones that I buy that are naked have a double clamp system, part crimps the bare wire the second clamp crimps the shielded section for extra strength to prevent wire fatigue

the pic is a bit out of focus, sorry I don't know how to make my iPhone take sharper pics at close up
Attached Images

Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote