View Single Post
Old 05-19-2009, 08:31 PM   #96
jkade

Re: 383 or 5.3?????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by highperf4x4 View Post
Ok, so what's the price tag on your cadillac engine with the "cam only" upgrade? And what did you have in your truck before, a gen1 or ?????? did you put in electric fan, electric fuel pump, new computer, new torque converter, new wiring harness, new engine mounts, accessories, fuel injection? Yeah, I'm guessing there's way more than 2500.00 under the hood of your truck dude and you didn't start with a 1972 chevy pickup. That's what we're talking about here. Before you get youngster turning his truck into a money pit that will take him a year to finish, show him your monster 72 with the LSx upgrade and a price tag of less than 2000. Because he can drop in a "brand new" gen1 engine which his truck already has in it for less than that and have it on the road quick!
Cadillac Engine = $1200 (car-part.com, ebay, craigslist, etc)
5.3 = $450-$700 if you shop around
Cam = $200 all day long used with a few miles on it. (ls1tech, performancetrucks.net, ls1.com, etc)
Electric Fans and Radiator for a Fbody (98-2002) = $100 (ls1tech, ls1.com)
Electric Fuel Pump--Walbro 255 inline = $115 shipped (ebay)
Engine mounting plates = Free (make them yourself with the diagram on LS1tech.)
Engine Mounts = $15 factory style from and parts store
New Computer tuned with everything you need = $150 (wait4meperformance)
Guages = $400 new
Misc (relays, painless 7 circuit fuse block for efi, connectors, air filter,etc = $300
If you have a th400 then spend another $300 and you are running driving and blowing 383's off the road (just kidding)
You can knock $600 - $750 off that if you do a 4.8 or a 5.3 and you be patient and bargin shop for the parts to complete the swap. This is just my experience and maybe I got lucky.
jkade is offline   Reply With Quote