View Single Post
Old 12-08-2019, 09:10 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Anyone just skip the the bodywork and rebuild everything mechanical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyd1961 View Post
I redone my truck about 3 years ago. The body was a little rusty but straight and solid. It was going to take a lot of body work to get it right though. I didn't want to go months or years without my truck so my solution was to rebuild all the mechanical components and clean up the body and try to put a halt to the rusting process.
I went with a new motor and trans, new brakes, new exhaust, new tires and wheels, and rewired everything under the hood. I cleaned up the body as best I could without removing it from the frame or replacing sheet metal. I cleaned everything underneath as best I could and sprayed about 20+ cans of cheap spray paint on anything rusty.
My solution for the paint was to oil it, I now use WD40 a couple times a year. Just spray it on and wipe it down and in a couple days it has dried in and will repel water as good as wax.
I still need to do some more work to it but it's a dependable fun to drive truck. One day when I retire I may do the body right but for now I plan to enjoy it as is.
My only problem is everywhere I go people try to buy it, I guess they think they can get it for cheap.
I don't have a current picture but it still looks pretty much as it did 3 years ago.

All of the trucks I am driving now need some body work or paint touch up but I drive them anyway.

These old trucks are pretty popular right now and in some areas of the country you don't see many of them. That may be why you are seeing the interest in your truck from other people... Everybody wants to buy something as cheap as they can. Just say no, or price it high enough that if someone does buy it you will make some good money on it and you can go out and buy a better one....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote