View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 12:44 AM   #141
SeventyOne

Re: The "In over my head" build thread

Dang it's been another long time since posted!

Guess I was getting burned out and needed to step back a bit...

I was getting hung up on starting the body work and rust repair. I called a media blaster who wanted $3000 to blast and prime the truck - this seemed ridiculous to me. I contemplated saving the cash to have this done or upgrading to a nice 2-stage compressor and buying a blaster and doing it myself. In any event it was demoralizing and rather than worry about the project I just let it sit...

Good new is since Christmas I've refocused and have been making more progress on the build. Just for the sake of moving forward I am continuing with finishing up the chassis and will deal with the body later.

Work done since my last post:
  • stainless brake and fuel lines ran
  • Fuel pump installed
  • Braided pump to carb fuel line installed
  • GM serpentine setup installed
  • Cleaned and painted the hubs and rotors (which were starting to acquire surface rust)
  • Installed brake calipers and pads
  • Removed 3 row radiator brackets from core support and bolted in 4 row saddles

Pics coming of all this I promise...

But my latest issue is with the power steering pressure hose. I wonder if the metal line is too close to the engine block? There is probably 1/16" to 3/32" gap between them now.

The line is new from Napa made for a 71 Blazer...but then again 71 Blazers didn't have serpentine setups. I had to mildly tweak/bend the Napa line to get it to install at all. So is it too close? Should I bend the line a little more? Is there something I can place between the block and line? Is it fine, move on?

Here's some pics...
Name:  photo 2.jpg
Views: 1086
Size:  36.0 KB

Name:  photo 1.JPG
Views: 1029
Size:  90.8 KB

The hose looks close to the belt in this pic but I'd say there's an inch or so of clearance.
Name:  photo 3.JPG
Views: 1087
Size:  89.9 KB
SeventyOne is offline   Reply With Quote