View Single Post
Old 10-02-2019, 11:48 PM   #45
72K5CSTDarkOlive

Re: The never ending K5 Build LS Swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaros44sr View Post
Truck looks great, one question though. what kind of prep work did you do before the ceracoat, do you spray or brush it on. couple parts under hood I wouls like to freshen up
Thanks, Jaro. For the cerakote, I use an HLVP detail spray gun with a .8mm tip and pressure set at 20 psi. As far as the prep goes.. for all parts and especially any parts that were previously powder coated or painted, I use my engine builders blast cabinet that uses glass beads.

Cerakote recommends aluminum oxide because it creates a better surface for adhesion because aluminum oxide is more aggressive. So far, I've had luck with the glass beads, but a buddy of mine just got a new blaster and I'll be able to use the aluminum oxide in his back yard so I will begin using this and I'll also be able to blast large parts that didn't fit in the blast cabinet. I'll be doing my inner fenders and core support using aluminum oxide this week and I'll post some pics.

You want to make sure you get all the rust scale and old paint off. The most important part is having a clean surface. I Really scrub the parts down with soap and water to get most of the dirt off and then I come back with a grease and wax remover and then let is soak in acetone.

I just started using Dupli Color's grease and wax remover and this stuff works wonders. I don't even need to wash it with soap and water anymore. This stuff takes all the dirt out in just one application.
Name:  Dupi color grease & wax remover .jpg
Views: 1279
Size:  36.7 KB

I am getting better and better each time I use this stuff and really starting to get the hang of it, as well as being comfortable making adjustments to the gun on the fly while spraying.

This is the gun I use. On Amazon for 16 bucks
Name:  HLVP Spray Gun .jpg
Views: 1262
Size:  41.3 KB

Build version 2.0: 72 K5
6.0 LQ9, 4L80e, NP205
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=793192