View Single Post
Old 02-26-2020, 10:26 PM   #14
argonaut

Re: How effective is Vintage Air in the Blazer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleszkie View Post
My Vintage Air system blows good and cold in the summer and blows hot in the winter. However, this only applies to the driver and passenger. Anyone in the back seat gets much less of the benefit. I have considered plumbing my center vent to a duct that outlets in the rear. However, I currently have a 5000 BTU window A/C mounted in my slide in camper that I can run off a generator while I drive, so the duct modification has gone to the back burner.

It should be noted that the effectiveness of the A/C and heat will be greatly improved if you properly insulate your truck. I added fat mat everywhere inside the tub and doors, carpeting over that, and heat shields on the firewall inside the engine bay and tranny tunnel, and between the muffler and floor. This has helped a lot.
I figured you'd chime in here! But your response only half-counts because you've got the window AC unit in the back camper!
Kidding aside, I should go over there and check out your insulation job one of these days so I can start planning to do similar to mine.

Heat shielding underneath from the exhaust and engine-trans is a great idea. I've been planning to do that on Big Ugly for some time, even have the sheet metal material sitting in the garage waiting to be cut and bent. The floor of these trucks gets ridiculously hot on a long trip in warm weather.

Maybe I also just stuff fiberglass batt insulation back into the doors and behind the rear cargo panels...that's what the previous owner had done.

1972 K5 Blazer CST, Turquoise
1966 K20 Short Fleet Pickup, Big Ugly
1964 C10 Short Fleet, Gertrude

2001 Porsche 911 Carrera
1996 Ford Bronco XLT
1980 Jeep Wagoneer

2008 Honda CBR1000RR
2005 Honda RC51
1981 Honda CB750C

No dis-assemble Johnny Five! No dis-assemble!
argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote