Thread: 1972 SWB Build
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2018, 09:44 AM   #115
knomadd

Re: 1972 SWB Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaterku View Post
Still trying to locate a suitable engine trans combo to buy. I have narrowed it down to a later model 6.0. I want to stay away from the E78 ecm, so I am going to have to do some digging. I am going to buy a standalone harness in the interest of time. No one seems to make a standalone for the E78. I've also been looking at L77 6.0's as well, but they have AFM so I would have to tear it down to disable that. Decisions, decisions...
I installed a 2016 L96 out of a 3500 Express van with the 6L90E trans and no AFM/DOD. It has VVT, which I kept so I could let the engine adjust to keep the power in the sweet spot. It uses the E78 ECM that you're trying to stay away from, BUT... I did find a company that would build you a custom harness for that computer. Look up Modern Vintage Systems on Instagram or Facebook. They can give you a quote of what something like that would cost. I don't remember what he told me since that was over a year ago.

I got a brand new harness from GM (mine was damaged by the freight company, so the seller put in a claim and got me a new harness) that I wound up cutting down on my own, so I don't have any experience with them. I have seen some of their work and it appears to be good quality stuff. A few other places I looked at told me I'd need to buy an E38 ECM from them to go with their harness in order for their stuff to work. That's an option still, but it wasn't going to work for me, since I had no idea if it would control my trans.

I say all of that just so you don't have to rule out the E78 ECM setups. It won't narrow your search so much, and you could find a great deal because so many are trying to avoid them too.

C/10 Club Texas member
1971 Chevy C10 "Brutus" SWB Fleetside 2016 6.0L (L96) 6L90E (driver/project)
1965 Pontiac GTO "Royal Goat" 400/TH400 w/AC (my baby)
knomadd is offline   Reply With Quote