Thread: 1972 SWB Build
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2018, 03:38 PM   #118
beaterku

Re: 1972 SWB Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by knomadd View Post
Well, I don't have a different cam, heads or intake swap, but I used a tuner out of San Antonio who uses HP Tuners (Nelson Performance). I have it at home too, but don't really know how to use it so I let him tune it. He was able to do everything I needed and has worked on the new LT motors for a friend of mine who recommended him to me. I think it completely depends on your tuner. Some are just affraid to touch it because they don't know about the LT motors, others are familiar with certain ECMs and prefer to stick with those. I have absolutely no problems with mine, but we'll see if it stays like that if I go with a bigger cam later.
I agree 100%. I had planned on buying HP Tuners myself, but I am by no means qualified. My options are pretty limited around here. I unfortunately need to go with someone local so I'm stuck. I did some digging and you can convert an E78 controlled engine to E38 with a harness and ecm swap and reprogramming of the TCM, but it's $1500. A little steep for my wallet. I am going in all stock at the beginning, but am going to swap cams at some point.
beaterku is offline   Reply With Quote