View Single Post
Old 10-05-2020, 12:35 PM   #187
44boggers

Re: American in Austria 83 Build

Now the slight dilemma. When I bolted the door and fender back up and pulled a piece of tape along the entire length of the driverside to get an idea of body line placement, things did not line up despite the body lines being straight. The line from the door to the fender climbed about 1 inch up the fender by the time it reached the front. Then I started to take some measurements on the fender, side light etc. Basically everything was 11/16" lower on the driverside than the pass side. Then I measured the frame horns, and sure as **** the driverside frame horn was exactly 11/16" lower than the pass side. But it is only from just behind the core support mount forward. Not where the control arms or motor is, that is all fine. So i guess I missed that somewhere that the frame was bent down. I took some fender shims and shimmed it 11/16" up and now all those body points i measured are exactly like the pass side. This is something I will need to tackle later and in the mean time I will make an aluminum puck to take up that space and then I will need to do something with the bumper mounts.

The fender line is not 100 percent straight across without any pitch but it is very very close. I thought about a door adjustment but I did so much metal work to get the gaps right that I didnt want to touch it. Plus I measure the pass side door body line front and back and the difference from the back of the door body line to the front is a 3mm drop towards the front, which is the same on the driver side. So I think it is where it should be, plus it lines up perfect with the cab body line.

But now my perfect fender to door gap i had before of 3/16" is all messed up and I will not need to add welding rod to the fender to bring the gap in. Basically it starts to go out just above the body line to the bottom of the fender.

Before I start redoing the fender, maybe someone can chime in, in case I am seriously missing something obvious.

Here are some pics. It does look like the fender has a downward kink right where the sway bar mount it, just not idea how this could have happened. My guess is it was that way when I got the truck and when I stripped the frame down and unbolted the cross members it let the tension go and it moved. Because there were not any shims under the core support when i took it off.

Ok enough writing, here are some pics.
Attached Images

44boggers is offline   Reply With Quote