View Single Post
Old 11-24-2022, 05:05 PM   #332
Zoomad75
K5Camper

Re: My K5 Blazer Story.

Man, it's been a while since I updated this. Many changes...Lots of trips. I'll do a speed run down memory lane here and bring us up from 2019.

2020 got into prep for DT, which included a validation run back up to Rainbow lake again. This time, just Larry, Ian and me. My dog rode shotgun. To give an idea how much the lake dropped, in a previous pic we were on the opposite shore standing at a cut in the trees looking out on the lake. My truck would be under water where it's at in this pic. The cut in the treeline can be seen here too.

The weather turned and we had to make some shelter to cook under. Like idiots, we left it up when we turned in. The wind picked up and ended up shredding the tarp.

Pretty good spot though.

Validation run completed without major issues we prepped for Desert Trip. '20 would be a year to remember on multiple levels. To start out we had a huge group that came out.

Keeping a large group together was much like herding cats, but we finally got everybody into camp.

One more camp night together and the group split into smaller ones. Larry, Ian, Ty and his wife and I stuck together.

Speaking of stuck, we managed to get the mighty K10 stuck in wet sand in the desert. Ty tugged him out of trouble and we continued on.

Poison spring canyon is a favorite trail of mine. Very remote, very pretty and rarely traveled.

Great campspot. Awesome dinner as usual.

The next day we ventured into Cayonlands to check out the Maze overlook. We never made it.

After getting stopped by a Ranger, we decided to boogie back to get the proper permits, but we were a solid three hour drive to get up there. It was on the ride back proverbial crap hit the fan. Larry's truck tried to commit suicide on the trail by almost breaking in half. Not many pics taken as we switched gears into "get this monster home" mode. We patched the crack in the frame with some flat stock we scrounged up and ended up towing it out with Ty's truck.

The biggest task to get out was the Flint Switchbacks. Nothing more than a 2000 ft elevation gain in 5 switchbacks. Ugly. But we made it out.

Within a couple of weeks within getting back from DT20, I got an offer on my 5.3/700r4 drivetrain I couldn't refuse. So I proceeded to yank it out and get the ball rolling on swapping in a 8.1 with a 5 speed.

It came out pretty good.

To be continued..
Zoomad75 is offline   Reply With Quote