View Single Post
Old 06-12-2019, 02:54 PM   #16
Mbeef61

Re: Help me lower my 71 C10

I dont know how much this will help but I will tell you how NOT to do it. I have attached pictures of my truck. I did not lower it, and it rides pretty rough. It looks decent, but it gets tossed around when hitting bumps at speed, it fairly noisy, and low speed bumps like going up into a driveway it feels like its mostly bump stops.

It was lowered in front by using stock spindles and cutting the springs. One coil was probably cut, luckily, when on jack stands with suspension hanging the springs dont move, I have heard cutting more than one coil can cause springs to fall out when suspension hangs. You can see how close the stock bump stop is, I could trim it but I am changing everything to QA1 coilovers this winter. Keeping the stock height springs and using drop spindles would keep geometry much more stock than my setup.

Rear was done semi-correctly. They used lowering springs, but you can see in the pics the angle of the shocks. Used stock track bar, which doesnt seem to be an issue. No c-notch. It doesnt seem to need one. Bump stops are fairly close and I can see where they do make contact causing a clean spot on the axle.

1) how it looks I think the tires are F: 235or245/65R15 R:295/55R15
2) shows how close front bump stop is
3/4) shows shock angles
5) rear bump stop

Look at lowered trucks, find one with similar tire/wheel size and find out what they did. Bare minimum you could do drop spindles, and lowering springs in rear, lots of rears for sale near me. I see so many posts about "installed springs only, wanted more drop so my loss is your gain..." pick up a cheap set and see if they work, if they dont you can make a similar sale haha. I cant recommend a spindle as I havent done any yet, but 2.5" drop is popular, but do plan on incidentals such as bearings etc.
Attached Images

Mbeef61 is offline   Reply With Quote