Thread: Dad's Dodge
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2020, 09:33 PM   #87
makman1297

Re: Dad's Dodge

Mango, for the price I cannot complain.

I continued to work the drivability issues. I replaced the insulation gasket for the carburetor as it seemed to be leaking already (edelbrock). This caused me to re tune my idle circuit as I had to turn up the idle from the vacuum leak. This lead to the leaning out of idle screws, which prompted an off idle stumble. I also noticed my vacuum seemed low at 15".

I decided to try what many other mopar people have stated and set the timing to 10 degree BTDC. This increased my vacuum to 17" and helped with the stumble. I decided to go with a larger accelerator pump and installed a #35. I will need to drive it some more but this seems better.

I also decided to tackle my tire vibration a little differently. I got a static balancer to check the tires and rear drums. The rear tires were balanced fine, but when I checked the drums they were both 2.5 oz out of balance. I have read that people have had problems with old cars and modern drums not being balanced properly so that's why I checked them. I attached some wheel weights to see if it makes and difference.

I also decided to try some liquid tire balancer, if this works as advertised, once static balance is achieved I should never need to rebalance the tires. I have only done the rear tires, but a 6 mile test drive was significantly better. I no longer have the out of round tire feeling as I am braking.
Attached Images

1980 Kawasaki KZ 440
2004 Harley Sportster 1200
makman1297 is offline   Reply With Quote