View Single Post
Old 09-24-2020, 09:26 AM   #5
lks dcvn

Re: Going to look at a Jimmy

Lots to check for if you are looking at the truck 'in person' - as I don't normally have that luxury and have bought trucks from across the country:

Working front to back:
  • lower front fender cups - these rust out at the lowest part
  • front frame horns - check to see if the bolt holes/horns tweaked as these rigs have a tendency of being beat up a bit
  • battery tray area - under this the acid rots the core support
  • inner front fenders - these rust out around the holes and where it bolts to the core support
  • firewall - check near the heater/AC box - as these can rust out from moisture/junk in the cowl
  • windshield frame outside/inside - they DO NOT make replacement windshield frames so this area is critical
  • kick panels/lower A-pillar/front floor - check for weak metal or signs of patching
  • inner/outer floor area - including exterior rocker
  • torsion box (area under door jam) - this is a key structural area of the truck
  • B-pillar - this is the most prone to rust as you have 7 parts that come together here.
  • Lower bedside - Just behind the door on both sides is where the rust will show on the body - this is a pain and $$$ to fix correctly
  • cargo floor - rust near the rear wheel tubs and floor or inner bedside - also near where the floor and tailgate meet (due to poorly sealing hatch)
  • rear splash shields - found behind the rear tires- these take a beating from water/dirt/rocks/etc.
  • tailgate - bottom where it meets cargo floor
  • hatch - check to see if it opens and can lock/hold itself up
  • hatch - check to see if it can close/latch and not rattle
  • top - check for large cracks, holes, chipped material - these trucks are not water tight - so keep that in mind if you are storing it outside

Good luck - I've learned a LOT by looking at the build threads in the Blazer section - if you want to see where rust can hide - feel free to review a prior build post of mine here from a few years ago.

You can easily overpay for a rusty truck if you don't know where to look and then get it home to make 'quick fixes' and find surprises (that usually are the tip of the iceberg).
lks dcvn is offline   Reply With Quote