View Single Post
Old 10-11-2015, 02:06 PM   #100
66Submarine

Re: Junkyard C30 stepside work truck "build"

This damn thing is driving me insane now. No matter what I seem to do, it still has a part throttle miss that won't go away.

Started out with the HEI out of another truck that ran, new Bosch plugs, new wires, and the nearly-new Holley 600 that I had rebuilt. Idle timing 22º for 36º total at a fairly low speed (2,500?).

Idle and WOT seemed OK, but it had a bad miss when just trying to maintain speed or go up a slight hill. Damn.

Change the module, change the coil, change the cap and rotor, check the pickup coil, change the wires, change the plugs (some of these repeated more than once), run a wire directly from the battery to the coil. Same thing.

Swap a Holley 750 off something else that ran. Same thing. This carb also has a fuel pressure gauge mounted to the inlet line that shows around 5PSI like it should, but that wouldn't matter anyway, since the float level was set when I changed the leaking needle and seat when I installed it and it does it immediately (it would run off the fuel in the bowl).

At this point I'm about to lose my mind, so I pull the HEI out and put the original points distributor setup back in. SAME THING.

Anyone have any ideas?

At least I got rid of the tiny air cleaner...
Attached Images