View Single Post
Old 11-29-2010, 04:44 PM   #142
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Re: Finally starting my Longhorn 4x4 conversion

Well the forecast was looking grim for this next week with a lot of strong winds. After I got some snow fence up for my mom, and picked up some junk out of the yard, I decided to see about getting a rear axle back under the Longhorn and get it inside. I noticed earlier in the day that my jack stands had started settling into the ground, and the truck was starting to lean over. I didn't want this thing falling over. I had my brother go get our neighbor's skid loader while I started cutting the leaf spring perches off the D80. What a PITA that was. I was running out of acetylene, but finally got them off. When I went to clean them up, I noticed I bent them while beating on them trying to knock them off the axle housing. I will just purchase new ones. We took the rear end out there with the skid loader and started getting ready to put it in. Then I realized the axle pads were wider than my u-bolts a long with my lower mounting plates. I drilled out the mounting plates and opened up the u-bolts in the vise. Next we went back out there and started putting it together. One more slight issue, the U-bolts are too short because this axle tube is much bigger and so is the new mounting plate. I removed the lift block and put it together. Once I got it on the ground back on tires, I'm getting the vibe that I might just remove the 4" lift kit altogether. The truck only sits maybe 2" lower in the rear now. Here are some pics in the shop again.

1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.

Last edited by Dieselwrencher; 11-30-2010 at 09:54 PM.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote