View Single Post
Old 11-10-2010, 02:20 AM   #71
Beelzeburb
Devil's in the Details

Beelzeburb: Part 27

Just got around to installing my birthday present, a hidden receiver hitch from ECE.

It is the Suburban specific kit, complete with license plate flip up and everything. I still don't have a rear bumper so I had to leave the plate flipperdoodle off for now. I ran into a slight snag when I first tried bench pressing the receiver into place though, it was too narrow. Or actually, my framerails were too wide. I had cut out the rivets on the rearmost crossmember and moved it back to accommodate my EFI Blazer fuel tank. In the process I'd apparently widened the space between the rear frame horns a smidge.

After loosening the bolts on the crossmember, removing the bumper extension mounts and also loosening the rearmost body mounts I used a large ratcheting strap to pull them back together again.

The receiver slipped into place much more easily this way. It still did require a bit of prodding with my big green dead blow hammer to line up just so. On the passenger side I had to pull up that spare tire well that keeps finding ways to try and block my access in this area. This was the only way I could get my air drill lined up straight to make the two holes on that side.

After drilling all of the four new 1/2" holes and tightening the six supplied bolts it was in.

Should look decently stealthy once I actually get a bumper back there.

Last edited by Beelzeburb; 11-10-2010 at 02:21 AM.
Beelzeburb is offline   Reply With Quote