View Single Post
Old 02-23-2007, 01:53 AM   #4
hvychve
To The Levy

Re: need help! oil leak, stranded at my dorm room!

I agree , with above, but can elaborate a tad, I would wonder if you had an oil cooler , this is usually mounted under the oil filter , its usually got a pair of hoses that run from this and up to radiator or remote filter, being that your filter is mounted on the engiine block ? or oil filter adapter? there are pressure points in this area , so my advice would be to go get you a couple cans of brake clean and spray it down the best you can, brake clean dries quicker than eng. degreaser and seems to work well without having to spray it off, like you do with engine degreaser, there is whats call an oil dye, usually comes in a couple ounce bottle, but you really need a black light to pick up its color, I am going to guess that with the amount of leak you have , it should not be too difficult to pin down. After its all clean , or shall we say a bit cleaner , not so wet with fresh oil, start it up and climb under with a flash light and try and spot where its pouring from , Note, make sure its full on oil in crankcase first. The oil pressure switch would be the very first place I checked, this is a sendor that sends a signal to either your oil light or oil pressure gauge, which ever you have , and this also is a pressure point and very common for leaking, this is a cheap part to replace, you just need to know if its got a gauge or a light before ordering , and if the gauge goes to 60 psi or 80 psi, or etc. so clean, and climb under to find where its coming from, if its rear main, I believe these years carry a one piece rear main seal, and if thats the case, you will need to remove transmission to access and replace, good luck and keep us informed.
hvychve is offline   Reply With Quote