View Single Post
Old 12-07-2016, 02:15 AM   #1306
spacedebris

Re: The Story Of A Cummins Suburban (Lots Of Pics)

I love the grill screen you did. I did something similar to my old 79 chevy luv back in college. Only I used pet window screen. I cut it 1 inch taller than I needed and then folded over the top and bottom 1/2 inch and sewed it together to make a pocket top and bottom the width of the grill. Then placed about 2 gauge wire through the pockets. Then starting with one side put a pocket in one end and then evenly spaced pockets across the width (for my luv it was every 8 inches or so if I remember right) with more 2 gauge wires. Then placed behind the grill. attached those "runners" to any mounting screws top bottom left and right. Basically made a window screen for my grill. Worked great. The only problem I ever had was during one trip, I ran into some heavy wet snow and the screen packed up almost instantly. I was amazed at how durable that nylon pet screen is. Like you said, it reduces the airflow slightly. But I only ever noticed the bare minimum of temp rises on the idiot gauge. (went from the left side of the tick mark to the right side). Also since the screen is black, it all but disappeared behind the grill and could only be seen if you really looked for it.
1960 c30 Apache Panel w/ '95 cummins bt6 turbo diesel (work in progress) NOTE: due to photobucket trying to extort money my photos are temporarily unavailable. currently looking for alternative to fix issue.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=523009
spacedebris is offline   Reply With Quote