View Single Post
Old 09-19-2014, 07:46 PM   #115
jlaird

Re: Handcrafted Goodness Inside! Exterior Mirrors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Cole View Post
Way to stay the course Josh! Your persistence will eventually pay off in a quality, American made product that many will cherish and enjoy. Now hurry up so you can get on those sport mirrors! (kidding)
I hope this machinist works out for you.
Thanks Steve!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo_Child View Post
Sorry to hear about your machine shop issues.

PM sent
Thanks for the intro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironangel View Post
All good Joshua...Still in line for a set when they're ready for sale. ~ Michael~
I'll hold you to that. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
I'm guessing those are 3D models, why not send the file out and get it CNC'd? Got to be places that will quote that online. And adding glass is easy (framing shop can cut round stuff).

Or you would even print it on a 3D printer and send it off for plastic plating. Not 100% certain of that, but they can "chrome" plate almost anything now.
Hey Dave, yeah they are 3D models and yes they are getting machined. I ordered a pair of prototypes. Will be close to 3 weeks now. One of two prototypes will be polished by the machinist, and the other is going to a company so I can compare and evaluate the feasibility of tumbling to polish. If the tumbling works out, costs can be reduced.

So last night I wrote this article to share some experiences from this process and maybe even help others who may want to try their hand at manufacturing a part.

5 tips for making your first Hot Rod part a reality

Let me know what you think.

-josh
jlaird is offline   Reply With Quote