View Single Post
Old 10-13-2009, 10:50 AM   #29
snowblind

Re: Springs and things

I'm in Salt Lake County. I think Salt Lake and Davis County require smog and I think all counties require safety. Not sure if any other counties require safety. There are minimal "visual" inspections to pass and then a run on the dyno. No need for CARB stickers or anything like that. If it passes the emissions sniffer you pretty much pass.

They are tougher on more modern cars. I have been denied for not having a charcoal canister on a 91 Toyota but my '72 has no EGR or canister or anything like that and passed fine due to the "age requirements". On the smog test my truck blew 1200ppm and is allowed up to 3000ppm of NO. Our 08 VW passat blew 2ppm!

Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vogel View Post
In other news my mechanic got it to pass emissions but he had to tune it on the dyno to just barely pass. I might be looking into fuel injection when inspection comes around next year...

Matt;
Which county are you in? We have seriously been wanting to move up that way, but being from Ca. where these things are smog exempt, I am worried about smogging mine (there isnt a C.A.R.B. legal part on my Jimmy). Its kind of a bummer because Ill bet it would show numbers that were better than stock original... it just would in no way pass the visual.
Thanks,
Tom
ps... my son lives in Syracuse.
snowblind is offline   Reply With Quote