View Single Post
Old 09-30-2014, 11:00 PM   #18
edgooch

Re: 8.1L and 4L85e swap into a 1972 Custom Camper 4WD

Time for an update. I have managed to make a little progress on this swap. As shown below, I finished installing the new fuel tank behind the rear axle, including the fuel line, return line, wiring for the in-tank pump and a wire to the original fuel gage in the truck.

I also swapped the original vacuum boost Master Cylinder out for the hydro boost MC from the donor 2003 Suburban. It took a little welding and grinding, but in general, it fit in nicely.

Spend some time contemplating my choice to use the original drive by wire throttle body, which requires the use of the also original huge accelerator pedal. After studying the pedal assembly, I determined that it did not need to be huge. the bulk of the pedal assembly is dedicated to the ability to perform an adjustment of the pedal height (in Suburbans with "Driver 1/Driver 2 systems). That feature is not applicable to my 72, to I cut away the unnecessary pedal mechanism and grafted the original pedal onto the now much smaller assembly. It is installed and feels just right.

I also finished striping away the parts on the frontend that were either in the way or being replaced. She is ready to begin reassembly.
Attached Images