View Single Post
Old 05-05-2020, 10:14 PM   #1170
Modges'66

Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan, otherwise known as Beer City U.S.A.
Re: My Unexpected '66 SWB-Fleet-Restomod Project!

Hello Guys!!!
Again, I hope that everyone is doing well!
I have been working during this whole Pandemic and haven't really had the time to work on the truck like I had planned, but I made a few more advancements on the install of the vintage air.

Because of where I had positioned and mounted my PCM during my build, It made things complicated when it came to using the stock deluxe heater controls with the vintage-air cable encoders. I had flipped the heater controls upside-down from the faceplate with the ideas that I could position the cable-encoders above the controls, but it turns-out that there isn't enough room to do this...
In the pic below you can see the PCM below the heater control cable arms, and the limited space above to the bottom of the dash.

Below in this pic, you can clearly see how much space would be needed for the encoders to make this idea work.

My solution?
I decided to use cables to operate the encoders remotely!
I machined an aluminum block to hold the cable-encoders in place and also position cables to operate them.

I then purchased a universal choke cable at the tractor supply nearby to cut-up and use for parts to make this idea work!
I cut the internal cable into 3 equal lengths and started to determine how long the outer jacket would need to be... There was a lot of addition & subtraction goin'on, and also finger counting, because all of the cable bends had to be made with the outer sleeve already ON the cable.

I made the crude tool below to twist the end of the cable to fit on the heater control arms.
Once that you wrap the cable around the stud, you unscrew the nut to remove the cable, then cut off the un-wanted extra portion of cable.

The opposite end was bent to interface with the cable encoders and complete the operation.

Here is a photo of the assembly ready to install.

I don't have a photo, but the new cable encoder block was mounted to the underside of the dashboard above the glove-compartment using 3M double-face trim adhesive tape for easy access, and ease in wiring.

I will try to post more frequent with the rest of this install....
Stay Well!
Modges'66 is offline   Reply With Quote