View Single Post
Old 06-23-2015, 12:44 PM   #20
special-K
Special Order

Re: Manifold or Headers, H or X pipe, muffler brand

^^^ Amen. Makes me wonder how I drove cross country and crissy-crossy all over America in old trucks. I'm sure glad nobody ever told me I couldn't do it cuz those were the best times of my life. People now complain about mufflers that drone. To me, anything with O/D drones at such a low rpm. I love the sound of a truck running 3k or better all day long.

The main thing is use quality crush gaskets and not that paper crap. But, I have had pretty good service even from those. I always doubled up the paper collector gaskets. My experience, and I know they are old cast iron now, has been broke or exploded stock manifolds and leaking donut gaskets. I hate dealing with exhaust manifold studs, too. Is there anyone who does? You can get to collector bolts easy and for me I prefer my plug wires over the top and easy to get to rather than tucked under the manifolds. To each their own and that's my take on it. I've never had headers hurt performance in any noticeable way where they weren't required

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote