View Single Post
Old 04-21-2019, 07:07 AM   #11
reg3

Re: ’48 GMC Build – Cummins 4BT, 47RH, IFS, 4-Link, Air

Few more updates on the back half of the truck. The plan back here is to cut out/remove the existing axle, suspension and cross members and replace them with a newer ford 9-inch and a triangulated 4-link. I built a new higher clearance cross member with link mounts that will allow the driveshaft to pass through. Then fabbed up some c-notch plates that integrated into a smaller cross member that I plan to mount the airbags to. Now less words and on to the pics…

Cut out and removed all the old, then roughly put the new rear axle in place.

Built a new higher clearance cross member out of 2x4 steel with some gusset plates for good measure.

Welded in some link mounts to the new cross member.

And then built some links out of some 1-1/2" DOM steel, these things are beefy.

Cut out and installed some c-notch plates. They're a little deeper than I need but the bed already had to move up so I figured more room is better than less.

Mounted the axle in place to see where the truck sits when fully aired out. Depending on final tire size the axle will be a bit lower than pictured to lay the running boards on the ground when laid out.

Welded in the new notch plates and cut out the existing frame.

Fabbed in some link mounts to the axle housing. Finish welded everything and bolted it all together. It took a bit of time to get the adjustment just right, but I was able to get the axle located in the right spot and indexing up and down very smoothly. Really pleased with how it turned out.

reg3 is offline   Reply With Quote