View Single Post
Old 03-04-2018, 03:19 AM   #11
aotte1

Re: 63 Brake Upgrade / Truck Pic

A little more follow-up on set-up used in above post, changing only spindles, and new rotors aftermarket, intended as an example.
Used original Chevy truck 73 to 87' 1/2 ton spindles, as per CaptainFab, changed the ball joints, and outer tie rod ends using GM parts to match newer spindles. A couple more smaller parts also needed, such as stock GM calipers/pads. Like mentioned above used RockAuto for GM and Moog parts at great price. The rotors cost the most, other parts not very much. My preference, is to use GM parts, just me, known quality, and fits good.

Photo shows GM 15" blazer wheels, on above method. Shopping around at swap meets gets you a good price, just takes a little time to find them. Got these for 300, cleaned and painted myself.

Also agree on considering CaptainFabs brake booster adapter, as a good way to go. (Note- copper nickel brake line is easy to use).

Notes: you can purchase above spindles, from junk yard removed, remove the spindles in junk yard yourself, or whole crossmember and take out spindles later- for very little money, probably as low as 50 if you remove or maybe less). Your experience may determine best method for you, along with access to parts in the junk yard. Tools - big A.. hammer 5 to 20 lbs; 1/2 sockets with breaker bar, racket strap to hold spring compressed and slow release; pliers, penetrating oil. If interested, will reference detailed build showing removal. Another method, probable board member " KrazyRay" has used ones he will sell. Good person to deal with. Or post WTB request for spindles using 1 1/4 rotors.

Note: FYI certain products you referenced above looked like they are 5 lugs, not 6, which maybe more expensive.
Attached Images

Last edited by aotte1; 03-04-2018 at 04:46 AM.
aotte1 is offline   Reply With Quote