View Single Post
Old 04-29-2019, 09:58 AM   #49
landarts
landarts

Re: 69 K10 From the Field

Was able to get templates made for the three rust area that needed new metal. Treated the metal on the inside of the cowl kick panel with a rust reformer and also on the firewall where it is a double layer of metal. Cut out the metal pieces and test fitting before tacking in. A few will need a slight grinding to make the fit right for a weld. Spray the back side with rusty metal primer and some black enamel. Next I did a test fit on the rocker in the passenger side and I was surprised that I will only need to make a few small adjustments to make it fit properly.

While I was waiting for the primer and enamel layers to dry I went through the drip rails on the cab and removed all of the seam sealer. For the areas that were hard to remove I warmed it up with a Mapp Gas torch and used a sharpened flat blade screwdriver. Now just need to go over once with a wire brush on a angle grinder and it will be ready for seam sealer again.

In the last picture that I circled with red - points to cracks in the metal where the parking brake mounts. I will need to grind and open up these and re-weld. Possibly reinforce if needed, have never seen that issue on a firewall.

This week will be welding everything in and getting those areas prepped for primer. Need to slide the cab back on a couple of 4x4 post so that I can clean and paint the frame from the front to just past the back of cab. Want to get this done so that when I finish body work on cab it can go back on with the new body rubber mounts with fresh paint. Also before I putting the new 292 4x4 crossmember and the 292 motor.
Attached Images

Fix and Sale 72 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 K2500
The "Fixrupr" build thread

72 Cheyenne 1/2 ton " FIXRUPR " - daily driver
67 C20 all original paint
71 K20 Custom 4x4 (Idaho Edition)
72 K20 GMC Super Custom 4x4
72 K20 Custom Deluxe 4x4
69 K10 Custom package 4x4 (69 K10 from the field)
69 K10 Custom
72 K20 Custom Deluxe 4x4
72 K20 Crew Cab Project
71 GMC Jimmy CST
72 Blazer
70 Blazer
landarts is offline   Reply With Quote