View Single Post
Old 09-02-2010, 03:46 PM   #37
Bugeyev8

Re: My 1962 C10 Build Thread "Grandpa's Truck "

step one
was to remove the old rocker...I see alot of prople trying to grind and drill the spot welds out...this is a waste of time, cut the outer rocker in smaller pieces using a cutoff wheel or tin snips, as to make it easier to remove, the smaller pieces allow you to just twist and pull the spot welds loose, the panels I worry about distorting I take a flapp disk and grind the spot weld area down, the metal will turn blue very fast when its getting thin..then just use a chisel and a vise grip and pull the old metal off, along the lower rocker spot wekds cut the rocker so that just about 1/2 inch of teh rocker is there, then take your chisel and start between a pair of spot welds and start to roll the metal up with your vise grips like you are opening a tin can, rock the vise grips when you come to a spot weld and the spot weld will break, remember spot welds are only strong in multiples , a single one is very easy to break

step 2

Grind and clean all loose rust and grind all spot welds down, clean and treat metal with metal etch, I used phosphoric acid and then treated al areas where I was not going to weld with POR15

Step 3
if you are just doing the rocker test fit and use a few screws to align it while you are working, be sure to have the door installed and adjusted before fitting the rocker , its very IMPORTANT to have the door installed, I had to massage the new rocker in the front where it slips over the pillar to fit perfect, if you are using a mig welder drill holes on the new rocker where the old one has spot welds, I used a spot welder along the lower seam, don,t weld anything till you are happy with the fit

step 4
weld it up and grind to your liking then shoot with epoxy primer and then seam seal and another coat of epoxy

If you are changing the inner rocker you will need to do that first, I fabbed the inner rocker and the repair panel for the kick panel and floor, I ordered a inner rocker from LMC and then Brothers and was not happy, the floor was rotted more than it would cover, and I did not want to buy a whole floor section...so I just fabbed it up, templates out of cardboard and then off to the brake with some 18 gauge

Just be sure to fit everything before you weld anything, use sheet metal screws, the inner rocker goes on first and then the pillar support and then the outer rocker

I will dig up more pics if I have them and post them for you
Attached Images

Bugeyev8 is offline   Reply With Quote