View Single Post
Old 03-28-2016, 10:07 AM   #63
scoot_mcgrute

Re: 1966 C10 Project Truck

Dad and I were busy over the weekend! We pulled the motor and tranny out on Friday and started cleaning the frame up. Yesterday after the Easter festivities, we got the bed off the truck. I gotta say that it was way easier knowing that I had all new hardware coming so we didn't have to save any of the original stuff. The whole back half of the frame definitely has more rust than the front! I've gone through probably half a can of Kroil just on the back half of the frame

Pulling the engine

Starting the bed tear down. I worked on as many of the underside bolts as I could while dad was cutting the heads of the fender mounting screws. He did an X in each head and used a chisel to break the heads off. Worked great!

We also broke the boards loose of the mounting bolts and just cut the heads off with the cutoff wheels.

Dad swinging the hammer

Blurry shot of my shop pup and shotgun rider, Rockwell. He's an awesome dog!

Bed wood out and bed off. We ended up cutting all the bolts that hold the bed strips in too. I'm going to redo the floor with some nice plywood when I'm at that stage.

All cleaned up with a Rockwell photobomb

Plans this week are to pressure wash the frame really well and wire wheel what's left behind. I'll be getting some POR-15 and coating the whole frame with that. Pretty soon it will be time to start working on fun things like brakes and suspension