View Single Post
Old 04-26-2016, 11:51 AM   #128
fwayne

Re: GMC paul door seals are great!

GMCPAUL

Thank you! Thank you! I just received and installed your newest precision press-on door seals for my '70 GMC. Perfection. I was installing them on Friday evening, my neighbor came over and was in awe. He owns a custom paint and body shop and had just completed a C10 and had used the old glue-in type. He said thats the last time he'll ever do that on one of these trucks.

My door seals came ready to install. After cleaning off the old residue of the factory seals with a plastic scraper and some help from a wire brush on a drill, I started the door seal install at the upper forward corner. I pressed in a foot or so by hand and tapped it fully in with very light use of a rubber hammer. I progressed rearward first, walking the install in a foot or so at a time, I found it easiest to put the seal against the lip at about a 45 degree angle from the inside of the cab, then rotate it on flush. Then light bumps with my palm to get it to start about 2/3 of the way in. The rubber hammer seated all the joints no sweat. After the rearward portion was done I did the forward side and the seals ended up absolutely matched. I needed to do no trimming or rework.

Note: I did not stretch the seal while installing, and I was careful to seat the seal at all corners and bends without pulling the seal (stretching) I can foresee if someone did this that they would end up with perceived excess material.

The door seals are very very tight. I had to slam the doors to shut them. But after two days in Texas sun and 80 degree temps, the seals have began to relax and form-fit a bit. the doors are tight but getting much closer to a normal. I don't see this as a problem as the seals will continue to relax.

The fit and materials are top notch. This looks like it came off the factory floor. all the edges match the body inside and out.

Great product!
fwayne is offline   Reply With Quote