View Single Post
Old 09-12-2018, 01:26 PM   #1
jrpontiac

77 c10 5.3ls turbo

Thought I'd post some pictures of my c10 turbo install on a 5.3ls, I'll update as I make progress. I finished up the 5.3ls conversion a couple months ago and decided I wanted to put a single turbo on it. Shooting for 500hp at under 10lb boost. Only mod to the engine will be the fuel injectors.

After doing so research I came up with a rough idea of how to do it. But mostly figuring this out as I go. Not in a hurry so I'm buying the parts as I go and using mostly Ebay parts. My overall objective is to keep the engine bay as clean and subtle as possible.

First purchase was the exhaust manifold, I used the Hooker single turbo exhaust manifold. It is a very tight fit but it clears. I like it because it is cast and has a factory look to it and is not terribly expensive ($300). I had interference with the original clam shell mount, but after some grinding it cleared. I suspect if I had used aftermarket motor mounts it would have cleared.

I Used 3" sch 40 fittings and a turbo T4 flange to finish the hot side pipe. ($75). The location of the turbo ends up being a compromise. I had the radiator hose, radiator, fender liner, battery, intercooler pipe routing, etc.. to deal with. At this point I just have the hot pipe tacked together, will have to pull out for final welding.

Turbo is an Ebay GT45 turbo, ($177). Drove myself nuts trying to figure out what turbo size to get. I finally hit the point where I just picked one so I could keep moving forward. I ended up with.

Compressor Trim Inducer Diamter Exducer Diamter A/R
50 69 mm 98 mm 0.66
Turbine Trim Inducer Diamter Exducer Diamter A/R
77 88 mm 77.5 mm 1.05

I did know I wanted a t4 size so if this turns out to be the wrong turbo I'll buy different one.

1st intercooler I ordered ($85) is to small, larger unit ($80) is on the way. I'm not sure from a performance standpoint if it is to small. From a looks standpoint it is. Pic is of smaller intercooler.
Attached Images