View Single Post
Old 01-28-2018, 04:30 PM   #1377
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Junkyard Jimmy Super Low Buck Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
So now you want it to be a bouncer? That is weird about the torch. maybe the hoses are made in USA and the torch and regulators are made in China?
I tested the torch out. Sort of. I pulled out my little portable torch set up and found that the acetylene bottle was empty. I never really used it. Must have leaked out. So I got one of my 20# propane tanks and hooked it up to that. I get the regulator on the tank, crack the valve and have pressure. Great!

I go to adjust the pressure for the downstream flow and it's missing the adjuster screws in the regulators. I dig around the packaging but no luck. I sent a message to the seller, we'll see what happens. In the mean time, I try out my old used regulators for the first time since I got them and it works.

I was working a little bit on getting those rear leaf springs out. Of course the bolts are rusted into the bushings. I get the 4 1/2" angle grinder out and it doesn't quite reach all the way through to cut the bolt. I was able to turn the bolt enough to cut the rest. So I go to the store to see if I can get a deal on a bigger angle grinder.

They are spendy compared to the small ones. For an extra $50 I got this super-whammy-dine 7/9" milwaukee. Then bought the wrong style cut off wheel, so I didn't really get to test it out. It does work though.

I wanted to at least get something done so I started measuring things for the first hoop to go in. The single wall top is about 43-3/4" to the top of the bed floor ribs. I set the height for the hoop to be about 43-1/4" and have about 1/2" clearance with a 3/16" plate on the tube bottom.

It's set in about the same position as a stock roll bar.

The plates are just tack welded on. My MIG welder is at it's limit for 3/16" plate. Eventually I'll need to upgrade but for now it'll be fine for tacks on those. Tube to tube welds should be fine though, it's less than 1/8" thick tube wall. I need to get some steel for stands, and for some other parts for the cage. And a bunch of bolts to clamp it to the floor as I build.

But hey! It's a start!
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote