View Single Post
Old 09-21-2018, 02:42 PM   #88
RADustin

Re: 1976 CCSB Duramax Project #trucknamedsue

thanks guys. I figure I'm due for an update.

got the fender body worked and shot in poly primer, followed by blocking it back out and getting it shot in some urethane.

sent a couple days getting the bed straighter than it was, blocked out and primed twice more. It now awaits final block and paint.

got the gooseneck holes cut. it was hard to cut into a perfect bedfloor.

front brake lines came in from crowne. They are stainless but I had them covered in a black rubber slip. That way they aren't too bling bling.

then I started working on the column. First order of business was to move the mounts up 1-7/8" to shorten it.

where I started-

housing marked with tape and cut

I cut off one mount at a time, welded up any cut-off tool grooves and ground back flat, then used the stock mounting bracket to realign the mount 1-7/8" forward.

eventually got both moved up forward.

I've been working on the steering wheel angle sensor for a while now.

this is the general idea. to split the column tube to house the sensor.

sent the housings out to get made. they are cut from stainless.

the machine that cut them . a 5axis dmg mori.

sensor fitted in housings

I had models 3d printed that are split in half so I can slip around the OD of the column to find the best spot for the sensor.

I can tuck it right in up top in the dash. so it should be unnoticeable.

with the location figured I got the model built out will all the lengths figured.

cut the column housing. also hard to do, these things aren't cheap.

and cut the lower column shaft. and weld preped it for a full-pen. I will machine a slug to go on the inside to line everything up and add in some plug welds.

getting the sensor fitted to the column housing. used the big lathe and a dial indicator to set run out.

also worked on the sensor key in the bridgeport. This piece will key the sensor to the steering column shaft.

for the turn signal I am using late model GM parts to gain the 7 position wipers and cruise control. I bought a few stalks and figured out how to take them apart with breaking them. Then I measured up the OEM parts and redrew them to interface with the IDIDIT column. printed some test parts out of ABS.

here is the stock stalk and the one I made with the pieces on the end. I will have the final one professionally printed.

that's about where I'm at right now. Have some more work on the column then I'll prime the housings and put it all back together. Getting closer to knocking out some of these smaller projects and then it'll be time to paint the frame and all the components.

1976 GMC Sierra Classic C35 CCSB
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...25#post8188825
RADustin is offline   Reply With Quote