View Single Post
Old 03-13-2017, 10:03 PM   #4
68c10airstream

Re: Need speaker box ideas

I had a neighbor that was a stereo nut! He told me to build kick panels for holding speakers and tilt them up and back because they need to shoot to your ear as direct as possible. The right side shoots to your head and the driver's panel shoots to the passenger side.

I built my kick panel speakers from small tin pails (buckets) turned upside down and cut the bottom out of it leaving a little inner lip to screw the speaker to. Another words the bottom of the pail should be about 1" diameter wider than the speaker leaving you about 1/2" lip remaining after you cut the center out of the bottom. Now i took the top of the pail and about every 2" cut slits down the sides as fingers to bend out to drill and screw to an mdf panel. By experimenting with the cut lengths you can lay that pail over like the leaning tower of piza! Once you happy with the layout go and get a gallon of evercoat body filler (bondo), it usually is on sale for about $20.00. I used the full gallon for both kick panels.

Start spreading the body filler around the pail and once cured grind it a little and put another layer on it until it's built up to your liking. Sand and paint as needed.

Put a little fiberfill inside the box and wire it before you install the speaker. Because of the mass and weight of this kick panel i think the bass sounds better than a fiberglass equivalent.

My neighbor told me about using a polyester fleece you spread around your form and then brush or roll out resin over the fleece. This would have been quicker and had that modern molded look but it was a new technique for me and i knew i could do it in body filler. No regrets here.

I did 10" woofers behind my seat and it works pretty good. It could always be better, but i don't need bass so loud that the dirt lifts up 5" unless i want to vacuum it up to clean up my act!!
68c10airstream is offline   Reply With Quote